Simon Barle, Foliage Artist from DICE shared on Polycount his environment work from Battlefield 4.
LEVEL-DESIGN.org News Roundup – Volume 7:
- PlanetPhillip’s AmbushVille Competition Released! [Blog Post]
- How Not To Build Map In 10 Days – Daz’s AmbushVille Retrospective [Blog Post]
- AmbushVille Levels Walkthrough and Commentary by Custom Gamer [Athelstan] [Factory Condition]
- Dead City from Rage – Environment Presentation by Polygon Fragments [YouTube Video]
- Exclusive Interview with Phil Co, Level Designer at Valve [Interlopers Blog Post]
LEVEL-DESIGN.org News Roundup – Volume 6:
- The Depths from Dark Souls – Environment presentation by Polygon Fragments[YouTube Video]
- Procrastination Is Bad – A disease that touches most of the industry artists and designers, be aware! [Polycount Post]
- Valve Hammer Editor Mapping Survey – Interesting mappers survey results posted by Brian Riggsbee [Blog Post]
- In-Depth Look At Doom Episode 1 [Video Analysis]
- Level Design in Video Games – Article that explains what is Level Design and how it works, good for aspiring designers [Article]
LEVEL-DESIGN.org News Roundup – Volume 5:
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Trilogy Level Analysis – Nice level analysis posted on Russian blog about Level Design (thanks channie for the link) [Blog article]
- Mainframe Mayhem by mfx – New Quake 1 Single Player level [Download, Screenshots, Discussion on func_msgboard]
- Salvage Street Scene – CryEngine scene by kwshipman [CryDev news website]
- Unreal Engine 4 Visual Effects – Amazing presentation of special effects from UE4 [YouTube Video]
- Fort Ratsack by Biff Debris – Video Commentary by Daz [YouTube Video]
- Operation: Make Faster Game – Talking about optimization in PlanetSide 2, many cool hints about methods that can save memory [YouTube]
In next few days I’ll be updating the Videos album with game titles that are already in Screenshots album. The list starts with Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 (more than 100 videos!) and Battlefield: Bad Company 2. I also added few screenshots from Left 4 Dead 2, Syndicate and Battlefield 3.
LEVEL-DESIGN.org News Roundup – Volume 4:
- Lessons in Architecture – Shape of Play Blog – Hints from architects for Level Designers [Blog article]
- GTA4 Hove Beach – Polygon Fragments [YouTube video]
- Ivory Tower by Sock – Quake 1 Custom Map and Video Commentary by Daz [Download Link and Discussion plus Commentary Video]
- Level With Me, Steve Gaynor [Rock Paper Shotgun Article]
- Level Reviews – Four New Quake 3 Custom Level Reviews on LvL World [Website]
- Interview with Pier-Luc Papineau – Level Design Director [Child of Light Blog]
- Dan Taylor’s Ten Principles of Good Level Design – Part 2 [Gamasutra Article]
CryEngine Documentation got a serious update. It’s nice and clean now, have a look.
No more still shots! Tagged movies are now available on LEVEL-DESIGN.org Reference Database. Right now I’m testing the platform only with Dear Esther – Videos album but soon you’ll get more. Here’s what you’ll see on the videos:
- Logo Screens
- Main Menu Options
- Credits (short part of it just to get the idea)
- Loading Screens
- In-Game Menus
- HUD Elements in Action
- Different Gameplay Typces (platform, puzzle, fighting etc.)
- Environment Previews
I hope you’ll like it! Don’t mention the funky colors on previews. YouTube did that. Any ideas? Send me a mail with feedback, thanks!
Here’s a list of articles about analysis in Level Design. Notes included. All that is posted on Critical Distance blog and that’s a must-read!
Thanks Sylvain for the tweet!